In 2018, the volunteer program was launched in the Greater Los Angeles area. Since that time, it has expanded to 10 Amgen locations (where ABE is offered) in five countries: Australia, Ireland, Singapore, United Kingdom, and the United States (Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Washington DC, Tampa, Los Angeles, San Francisco). Our hope is to ultimately expand this program to all ABE program site locations worldwide.
The volunteer program makes a positive difference in the world by aiming to reach the following goals:
- ABE students gain access to a diverse set of role models for a range of biotech careers, real-world context for science content in the classroom, and opportunities to develop scientific literacy related to authentic biotech applications
- ABE teachers gain supports and resources that reduce barriers to student participation in biotech
- Amgen staff increase their awareness of ABE and its local, regional, and global impact
Learn more about the program’s volunteer options through these blog posts and career profiles:
- Blog Post: Real-World Biotech Experiences to Broaden the Narrative
- Blog Post: ABE Volunteer Program: Bringing Biotech Careers into the Classroom
- Career Profile: Hillary McLoughlin, Amgen Thousand Oaks
- Career Profile: Krista Dong, Amgen Massachusetts
“It's such an energizing and inspiring experience to be able to share my career trajectory and have a chance to talk to teachers and students! And I am amazed at the level of sophistication these students exhibit when discussing their research projects! It's humbling in a very nice way and kindles a sense of optimism about the next generation!”
– Amgen Volunteer, Amgen Thousand Oaks
“I liked how [the volunteer] was able to answer questions on a broad spectrum. She was very open to answer any question we had whether it was about school or her job, or even our future career.”
— Student, ABE Massachusetts
“The use of the PCR and gel electrophoresis simulation was a huge help in students visualizing this concept. It was also really wonderful for students to hear about an educational pathway that included community college and has produced a rewarding and well paid career path.”
— Teacher, ABE Washington DC Metro Area
How to Volunteer
If you work at Amgen in any capacity in the following locations, you should contact the liaison for your site to learn more about signing up to participate.
Not from Amgen but Want to Volunteer?
If you are a professional from an organization other than Amgen and you would like to volunteer to share your career story through classroom visits with ABE students, please contact the ABE program site closest to you.